One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the Board of Light & Power is the fact that we are a community-owned entity. This fact is recognized and reinforced in our Mission Statement which identifies our community as one of three important groups of stakeholders in our organization. (The other two groups are our customers and our coworkers.)
The BLP is continually striving to earn and maintain our community’s support. As part of this effort, the BLP sponsors, participates in and supports community events that:
- Demonstrate that the local utility is not a large corporation but is a local community-owned business which fully accepts and willingly acts upon its local obligations and the interests of its customer-owners.
- Maintain harmonious relationships with community leaders, based on a spirit of mutual respect and interest.
- Keep the local community fully informed of what the utility is doing and trying to do and why.
- Aid the community in maintaining itself as a desirable place in which to live and work, and assist in its growth and improvement.
- Encourage corporate and employee participation in community activities for the good of the community, the utility, and the employees themselves.
The following is a partial list of community events and organizations supported by the BLP:
- Central High School Food Pantry
- Central Park Holiday Decorations
- Chamber Golf Outing/Fundraiser
- Chamber Economic Development
- City of Grand Haven NYE Ball Drop
- Crusade for Toys
- Lakeshore Earth Day Fair
- Fire Prevention Week
- Friends of Coast Guard
- Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival
- Grand Haven Department of Public Safety Resistance Run
- Grand Haven High School Stadium Digital Sign
- Jingle Bell Parade
- Loutit Library Touch a Truck Day
- Newspapers in Education
- Owen the Elf (Newspaper Stuffer for Children over the Holidays)
- Re-Imagination Station
- Salvation Army Low Income Energy Education
- Save the Catwalk
- Spring Lake Library Touch a Truck Day
- Ottawa County United Way
- United Way Day of Caring
- Walk For Warmth
- WAWL Basketball Game Book
- WAWL Football Game Book
- WAWL Home Garden Lifestyle Show
- WAWL Fall Home Show
- WGHN Home Garden Health Show
- WLCS/WWSN Missing Children Campaign
- Tri-Cities Family YMCA Big Trucks Camp
If you know of a community event that the BLP should consider supporting, please e-mail information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 616-607-1261 during regular business hours.