For Your Home
Energy Efficiency TipsMore
As we think about farmers a quote comes to mind, "Farming: it's in our Jeans"*. The local farmer usually comes from generations of farmers, and they are vital to the growth of this country. Who doesn't love the fresh taste of sweet corn, blueberries and apple pie! Therefore,
in honor of National Farm Safety and Health Week, Sept. 15-21, Grand Haven
Board of Light & Power offers safety tips for farm workers across Northwest
Ottawa County Michigan.
One of the biggest hazards for farmers is posed by power lines. Typically, power lines over streets and rural areas have a minimal clearance of 18 feet. To stay safe around overhead power
lines, Grand Haven Board of Light & Power urges farm operators and workers
Avoiding Electrical Dangers during Harvest Season
·After working in a field on a neighbor's farm, Jim Flach parked
his equipment and stepped out of the vehicle. Flach received a severe electric
shock that ultimately resulted in his death a few months later. His equipment was
unknowingly touching an overhead power line, and he became a path to ground for
an electrical current as he set his foot to the ground. Grand Haven BLP urges
farmers and agricultural workers to have a safe harvest season by taking
precautions around power lines.**
·The rush to harvest can result in farmers working long days with
little sleep. Make sure you note the location of power lines before you start
each day. Before working in a field or around shops or grain bins, always take
the time to note the location of power lines, so that you can make sure to remain
a safe distance from them.
Farming is one of the most dangerous professions in the country, according to the
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Machinery and vehicles help on the job but also
contribute to many farming accidents. Electricity is essential to the
operation of a farm but, like so many other tools, can be dangerous. Grand
Haven Board of Light & Power encourages farmers to protect themselves from
the hazards of electricity and to share electrical safety information with
family and workers to help keep them safe this harvest season. Look Up and Look
Out to keep your harvest season safe and bountiful!
**Courtesy of Safe Electricity, a program of the Energy Education Council.
*Watchusgrow.org an Illinois Family Farm
With fall's approach and the shift to inside activities, many of us will begin watching our favorite fall TV shows. Have you ever watched the Living Alaska television series? HGTV Television, Scripps Networks LLC. In each program, Living Alaska showcases a couple who is in search of a home in Alaska, anywhere from Juneau to Anchorage and the Kodiak Islands to Halibut Cove. The program gives you a beautiful glimpse of Alaska's endless treasurers. Some of the homes are so remote they don't even have running water or electricity, just a generator. Imagine how difficult it would be to not be able to run those kitchen appliances and electronics we use every day! On the opposite end of the spectrum, electricity contains the potential to destroy homes and lives if wiring is not properly
installed and maintained. Electrical fires are more destructive than any other
type of fire and are twice as deadly. The Grand Haven Board of Light & Power has the following tips to help you keep your electrical systems safe this upcoming cold weather season.
1. If an electrical fire starts in your home, do not use water to extinguish it. Use an extinguisher that is approved for use on electrical fires.
2. Flickering lights; warm, cracked, or sparking outlets all indicate electrical problems. Contact a licensed electrician to inspect, repair or replace these types of issues.
If your circuit's trip or fuses blow, your home may have an electrical problem. Contact a licensed electrician for an inspection of your electrical system.
Never overload outlets, use an extension cord as a permanent wiring solution, or install light bulbs that are not rated for the socket. These are potential fire hazards.
5. Inspect electric plugs and cords annually. If they are frayed or cracked, replace them.
6. Do not place cords under rugs and never staple or nail them to the wall.
If you are curious about the show, Living Alaska, go to Living Alaska for more details.
Electrical failure/malfunction is a leading cause of home
fires. Learn more about electrical fire safety at Electrical fire safety - YouTube Video from FEMA