Payment Assistance



All customers seeking utility service payment assistance must apply online through the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) at the MI Bridges login page. If you receive a rejection letter from DHHS, submit it to local agencies for further assistance and consideration.

Begin the payment assistance application process Apply through MI Bridges here.

MDHHS Eligibility Overview

Log in using your MI Bridges account information. If you are a first-time user, create an MI Bridges account and search for Utility Service Payment Assistance resources. The Salvation Army is a Community Partner and can help you apply online for payment assistance. To set up an appointment with the Salvation Army, call 616-842-3380.

For a  complete list of Community Partners, click here.

Other Resources

Love in Action

326 North Ferry Street, Grand Haven MI 49417

(616) 846-2701

Love in Action partners with eight local churches to help clients with up to $2,500 each year by directly paying a mortgage, a rent bill, or utilities. We may be contacted for an appointment/inquiry at 616.846.2701 or



Michigan 2-1-1 is an easy way to connect with help of all kinds, right in your community. Need help with food, housing, or paying bills? Need support in a family crisis or community disaster? Just call, text, or search online and they will get you connected. Michigan 211 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF) is a NEW Program that will grant up to $25,000 Per Household to Pay:

Delinquent mortgage/housing expenses, including property tax and insurance escrow shortages

Delinquent land contract payments, mobile home consumer loan payments, or mobile home park lot payments

Delinquent property taxes

Delinquent condominium/homeowners' association fees

Delinquent homeowner's insurance,

Delinquent utilities, gas, electric, water, sewer

Delinquent internet broadband services

Governor Gretchen Whitmer has designated the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (the Authority or MSHDA) as the operating agency to set up the Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF) program in accordance with the guidance provided by the Treasury.

Who Is Eligible?

Homeowners with household incomes less than 150% of Area Median Income (AMI)

Homeowners who own and occupy the property as their primary residence

Homeowners must have and explain a financial hardship directly related to COVID-19 on or after January 21, 2020

How Do I Apply?

Use the secure online application portal to submit your application for assistance. This is the best way to apply for those who have a smartphone, tablet, or computer.


Program questions please call Customer Service 844-756-4423 or email


Salvation Army

310 N. Despelder St, Grand Haven MI 49417

(616) 842-3380

The Salvation Army’s Energy Assistance Services (EAS) seeks to walk alongside low-income households to address energy crises. Through this process an applicant may be offered bill payment assistance, energy company subsidy program enrollment, and case management services.  The goal of these services is to support household financial stability and support the customer in achieving goals they have set for themselves.  In most situations, an EAS Case Specialist will meet with an applicant one-on-one to determine eligibility and to assess the need or opportunity for additional support.

Good Samaritan Ministries

513 East 8th Street, Suite 25
Holland, MI 49423
Phone: 616.392.7159

Good Samaritan Ministries is located in Holland and serves the residents of Ottawa County. They have an eviction diversion program for tenant and landlord applications.

Community Action Agency

12251 James St., Ste. 300
Holland, MI 49424
Phone: (616) 393-4433
Toll-free: 1 (800) 764-4111 Ext. 4433

Utility Assistance:
Assistance is available for heat, electric and water to prevent loss of service. Households must have a notice of past due or disconnection, meet the income guidelines and have the ability to sustain services in the future.

Utility assistance requires an intake form, which may be filled out with Community Action Agency staff at the CAA office, by phone, or by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. Requests for assistance are handled in the order received. If eligible, an appointment will be scheduled for assistance.

Apply Now


a TrueNorth community service
6308 S. Warner Avenue | P.O. Box 149
Fremont, MI 49412
Phone: 231.355.5880

TrueNorth Community Services' emPower heat and energy program assists people who are struggling to afford their heat-related utility and deliverable fuels bills in Michigan, helping them strive to become self-sufficient.


Hometown Helping Hand

Hometown Helping Hand is a program implemented by the Board of Light & Power to raise additional funding to assist families in need in the Grand Haven area with paying past due electric bills.

GHBLP Customers may apply for Hometown Helping Hand Program assistance through the Grand Haven Salvation Army. Call (616) 846-3380.

Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides free installation of energy-saving measures to income-eligible homes in Ottawa County. This is a free program for those individuals or families who qualify. Those who qualify will have a home inspection provided by Ottawa County Community Action Agency at which time the necessary weatherization tasks will be determined. Afterward, the qualified family will be connected with a licensed weatherization contractor who will perform the home weatherization.

Weatherization tasks include, but are not limited to attic insulation, wall insulation, floor insulation, weather stripping, window caulking, and/or other minor home repairs. Improved weatherization will help recipients keep cool during the summer and warm in the winter. It can also help reduce air leaks and home heating bills.

Apply online 

In the 2021 fiscal year, Community Action Agency helped over 25 households in Ottawa County with 9 of those located in the Grand Haven, Spring Lake, Ferrysburg, and Nunica areas. Eligible households may receive between $1,500 - $7,000 in-home weatherization assistance through this program.

Properties that have received Weatherization assistance in the past are ineligible for the program. Income limits change annually.

Please call (616) 393-5610 with any questions about the program.

The Salvation Army can help you apply online for the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). To set up an appointment with the Salvation Army, call 616-842-3380.