One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the Board of Light & Power is the fact that we are a community-owned entity. This fact is recognized and reinforced in our Mission Statement which identifies our community as one of three important groups of stakeholders in our organization. (The other two groups are our customers and our coworkers.)
The BLP is continually striving to earn and maintain our community’s support. As part of this effort, the BLP sponsors, participates in and supports community events that:
- Demonstrate that the local utility is not a large corporation but is a local community-owned business which fully accepts and willingly acts upon its local obligations and the interests of its customer-owners.
- Maintain harmonious relationships with community leaders, based on a spirit of mutual respect and interest.
- Keep the local community fully informed of what the utility is doing and trying to do and why.
- Aid the community in maintaining itself as a desirable place in which to live and work, and assist in its growth and improvement.
- Encourage corporate and employee participation in community activities for the good of the community, the utility, and the employees themselves.
The following is a partial list of community events and organizations supported by the BLP:
- Chamber Economic Development
- City of Grand Haven Bayou Picnic
- Fire Prevention Week
- Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival
- Grand Haven Musical Fountain
- Jingle Bell Parade
- Leadership Connect
- Light Night
- Public Power Week
- Relay for Life
- Toys for Tots
- United Way
- Walk For Warmth