One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the Board of Light & Power is the fact that we are a community-owned entity. This fact is recognized and reinforced in our Mission Statement which identifies our community as one of three important groups of stakeholders in our organization. (The other two groups are our customers and our coworkers.)
The BLP is continually striving to earn and maintain our community’s support. As part of this effort, the BLP sponsors, participates in and supports community events that:
- Demonstrate that the local utility is not a large corporation but is a local community-owned business which fully accepts and willingly acts upon its local obligations and the interests of its customer-owners.
- Maintain harmonious relationships with community leaders, based on a spirit of mutual respect and interest.
- Keep the local community fully informed of what the utility is doing and trying to do and why.
- Aid the community in maintaining itself as a desirable place in which to live and work, and assist in its growth and improvement.
- Encourage corporate and employee participation in community activities for the good of the community, the utility, and the employees themselves.
The following is a partial list of community events and organizations supported by the BLP:
- Boy Scouts of America
- Chamber Economic Development
- City of Grand Haven Ball Drop
- City of Grand Haven Bayou Picnic
- Crusade for Toys
- Fire Prevention Week
- Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival
- Grand Haven Musical Fountain
- Jingle Bell Parade
- Public Power Week
- Grand Haven Department of Public Safety Resistance Run
- Salvation Army Adopt A Family Program
- United Way
- Walk For Warmth
If you know of a community event that the BLP should consider supporting, please e-mail information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 616-607-1261 during regular business hours.