Payment Assistance



Effective October 1, 2018, all customers seeking utility service payment assistance must apply online through the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) at the MI Bridges login page. Once you apply with Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS), it will give you an option to select a Community Partner for additional assistance. If you choose the Salvation Army or True North as your Community Partner, they will contact you directly.

If you do not choose a partner, you may reach out to any of the agencies listed below. However, no assistance will be provided until you have the approval letter from DHHS.

Begin the payment assistance application process here.

Log in using your MI Bridges account information. If you are a first-time user, create a MI Bridges account and search for Utility Service Payment Assistance resources. The Salvation Army is a Community Partner and can help you apply online for your payment assistance. To set up an appointment with the Salvation Army, call 616-842-3380.

For a  complete list of Community Partners, click here.

Other Resources


Michigan 2-1-1 is an easy way to connect with help of all kinds, right in your community. Need help with food, housing, or paying bills? Need support in a family crisis or community disaster? Just call, text, or search online and they will get you connected. Michigan 211 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.


Salvation Army

310 N. Despelder St, Grand Haven MI 49417

(616) 842-3380

The Salvation Army’s Energy Assistance Services (EAS) seeks to walk alongside low-income households to address energy crises. Through this process an applicant may be offered bill payment assistance, energy company subsidy program enrollment, and case management services.  The goal of these services is to support household financial stability and support the customer in achieving goals they have set for themselves.  In most situations, an EAS Case Specialist will meet with an applicant one-on-one to determine eligibility and to assess the need or opportunity for additional support.


a TrueNorth community service
6308 S. Warner Avenue | P.O. Box 149
Fremont, MI 49412
Phone: 231.355.5880

TrueNorth Community Services' emPower heat and energy program assists people who are struggling to afford their heat-related utility and deliverable fuels bills in Michigan, helping them strive to become self-sufficient.

capartnership logo

Community Action Agency

12251 James St., Ste. 300
Holland, MI 49424
Phone: (616) 393-4433
Toll-free: 1 (800) 764-4111 Ext. 4433

Utility Assistance:
Assistance is available for heat, electric and water to prevent loss of service. Households must have a notice of past due or disconnection, meet the income guidelines and have the ability to sustain services in the future.

Utility assistance requires an intake form, which may be filled out with Community Action Agency staff at the CAA office, by phone, or by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. Requests for assistance are handled in the order received. If eligible, an appointment will be scheduled for assistance.

Apply Now

Hometown Helping Hand

Hometown Helping Hand is a program implemented by the Board of Light & Power to raise additional funding to assist families in need in the Grand Haven area with paying past due electric bills.

GHBLP Customers may apply for Hometown Helping Hand Program assistance through the Grand Haven Salvation Army. Call (616) 846-3380.


Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides free installation of energy saving measures to income eligible homes in Ottawa County. This is a free program for those individuals or families who qualify. Those who qualify will have a home inspection provided by Ottawa County Community Action Agency at which time the necessary weatherization tasks will be determined. Afterwards, the qualified family will be connected with a licensed weatherization contractor who will perform the home weatherization.

Weatherization tasks include, but are not limited to: attic insulation, wall insulation, floor insulation, weather stripping, window caulking, and/or other minor home repairs. Improved weatherization will help recipients keep cool during the summer and warm in the winter. It can also help reduce air leaks and home heating bills.

Apply online 

In 2017, Community Action Agency helped over 54 households in Ottawa County with 15 of those located in the Grand Haven, Spring Lake, Ferrysburg, Nunica area. Eligible households may receive between $1,500 - $7,000 in home weatherization assistance through this program.

Properties that have received Weatherization assistance in the past are ineligible for the program. Income limits change annually.

Please call (616) 393-5610 with any questions about the program.

The Salvation Army can help you apply online for the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). To set up an appointment with the Salvation Army, call at 616-842-3380.